Temperature’s rising, the sea breeze is warmer every day and we can feel summer is upon us, at least in Vallarta! May is the time to enjoy outdoor activities before the heat and humidity makes it unbearable and todays recipe is perfect to cool off and hydrate after a day of fun in the sun.
Cucumber and mint agua fresca is deliciously refreshing and powerful detoxifying drink, providing our body with anti-inflammatory properties and alkaline agents that help balance our pH levels; but if what you need is a grown up drink after a stressful day at work, I dare you to add 1 ounce of your favorite spirit and enjoy a luscious cocktail!!
Cucumber and Mint Agua Fresca
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 20 mint leaves
- 1 lime
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tbs. sugar
- Wash the cucumbers, the lime and mint leaves.
- Peel off the skin of 2 cucumbers and cut them in quarters.
- In a blender put 1 cup of water, add the cucumbers, the juice of 1 lime and 15 mint leaves.
- Blend for one minute, the right consistency should be purée like.
- Strain the content in the blender container to a pitcher, add the sugar and the remaining water. Stir until sugar is diluted.
- The remaining cucumber and mint leaves are for garnish, you can leave the skin of the cucumber and make thin slices or bite size cubes.
Serve in lowball glass with lots of ice, add a mint leaf and cucumber slices/cubes.
To make a “grown up” drink you can tweak this recipe according to your cravings, here are some ideas:
- Add Rum (1oz.) and garnish glass rim with brown sugar, hello Havana!
- Add tequila (1 oz.) I recommend Don Julio 70 but any blanco will, garnish the rim of the glass with tajin (see picture below) for a kick of Mexican flavor.